A recent survey shows that the increase in the construction of new homes has helped boost the sales of windows and doors. Many home owners have opted to remodel their homes and are constantly looking for residential door replacement services. Doors not only provide security but they also contribute towards the overall appearance of your house.
You may also hire these companies if you want to replace the cupboard doors in your kitchen. Replacing only the doors saves you a lot of money and at the same time will give your kitchen an entirely new look. So what are the factors that you need to consider before you contract the services of such residential door replacement companies:
- Reason for replacing the door
As home owners we all have different reasons to change the doors and windows in our house. Some may want a new look and others may have genuine problems with their existing doors.
- Type of door you want to replace the existing door with
There are a variety of doors from which you can choose like Panel doors, windowed doors, decorative wood carved doors, sliding doors, or storm doors. No matter what your choice always keep security in mind as you don’t want a door that will break easily.
- Your budget
It is always wise to allocate a budget for any repair works that you may wish to do. This will help you to select the company that will fall within the boundaries of your budget.
- When you want to replace the doors
As most of the work will be done outdoors making your house bare so it is advisable to do such replacement work when the exterior conditions are favorable.
Once you have answered all the above questions the first thing you need to do is find a residential door replacement service in your locality. Get quotations from a couple of companies and then compare their rates to see which one is more favorable to your pocket. You should also search online to see if the rates of companies in nearby towns or cities match those of the companies in your area. Once you have made your choice ask them to provide a few references so that you can confirm if the company is any good. When you are satisfied you may enter into a contract with them but only after you have seen their insurance certificate.
Residential door replacements are very costly and so you must make sure that the company is giving you all that it had promised. It is most often seen that some companies try and find an easy way out after a few days or weeks of starting the work. Therefore you must be stern with them and remember not to make any payments before the work is completed. Finally, look into the after sales services provided by the company once the job is completed. Many may offer to repaint the doors once at no extra costs involved.
Windows and doors welcome the guests and it is essential to maintain and repair them periodically. Windows and doors repair may be required at the times of damage caused due to violent hurricane or any other physical impact caused accidentally. Window and doors repair is simple if the parts are best understood. Here are some tips to fix the doors and windows without seeking any external professionals:
- Determine the kind of window or door subjected to damage; depending on the geography and climatic change, the glass used to fix the damage may be tempered or non-tempered.
- Remove the window or door from the fixture if possible. Detach the door along with the broken window from the hinges. This is because fixing the damages makes windows and door repair much easier since it provides ease of changing the damaged parts in most convenient way.
- The broken glasses should be removed off from the doors or windows carefully since they tend to harm the people vicinity. The broken glass pieces should be disposed by collecting them in a cardboard box.
- Then seal the cardboard box with tap and mark it as “Broken glasses” before disposing them into environment.
- Vacuum cleaners or wet clothes can be used to collect the small shards of glasses.
- Window and door repairs often require clearing the broken pieces completely to make the overhaul efficient. Hence, old caulk remains should also be removed off completely using a putty knife. Sometimes a heat gun may be required to loosen the remains and wipe it. Old glazier should also be cleaned from the broken pane using a metal brush.
- Measure the length and width of the window or door pane. Buy glass piece from the nearby hardware stores according to the size measured.
- Carefully, the glass piece should be inserted into the wooden frame of the window or door. The glass should perfectly fit the framework so that it won’t allow any dust or insects to pass through the gaps left. Then fix it appropriately using the glazing compound.
- The glazing compound should be prepared in proper composition so that it firmly holds the glass along with wooden framework.
- The flat edge of the glaziers’ tool or putty knife can be used to apply the glazier compound over the edges of glass-wood framework. Spread the glaziers’ compound uniformly and thickly so that it won’t be concentrated at one single point. The putty applied should not show off to the other side of the door or window which marks the gap or improper fit of glass to the wooden framework.
- Corners are tricky and require special care to apply the putty.
- Other window and door repair conditions include damage of hinges and door locks. It may be due to lack of lubrication or rusting of internal parts. Windows and doors repair wholly represents fixing of broken glasses and mechanical parts. Fixing the glasses is simple if worked carefully. But repairing the mechanical parts requires expertise and cannot be self-helped. Repairing delicate parts without expert assistance may worsen the damage.