Windows and doors welcome the guests and it is essential to maintain and repair them periodically. Windows and doors repair may be required at the times of damage caused due to violent hurricane or any other physical impact caused accidentally. Window and doors repair is simple if the parts are best understood. Here are some tips to fix the doors and windows without seeking any external professionals:
- Determine the kind of window or door subjected to damage; depending on the geography and climatic change, the glass used to fix the damage may be tempered or non-tempered.
- Remove the window or door from the fixture if possible. Detach the door along with the broken window from the hinges. This is because fixing the damages makes windows and door repair much easier since it provides ease of changing the damaged parts in most convenient way.
- The broken glasses should be removed off from the doors or windows carefully since they tend to harm the people vicinity. The broken glass pieces should be disposed by collecting them in a cardboard box.
- Then seal the cardboard box with tap and mark it as “Broken glasses” before disposing them into environment.
- Vacuum cleaners or wet clothes can be used to collect the small shards of glasses.
- Window and door repairs often require clearing the broken pieces completely to make the overhaul efficient. Hence, old caulk remains should also be removed off completely using a putty knife. Sometimes a heat gun may be required to loosen the remains and wipe it. Old glazier should also be cleaned from the broken pane using a metal brush.
- Measure the length and width of the window or door pane. Buy glass piece from the nearby hardware stores according to the size measured.
- Carefully, the glass piece should be inserted into the wooden frame of the window or door. The glass should perfectly fit the framework so that it won’t allow any dust or insects to pass through the gaps left. Then fix it appropriately using the glazing compound.
- The glazing compound should be prepared in proper composition so that it firmly holds the glass along with wooden framework.
- The flat edge of the glaziers’ tool or putty knife can be used to apply the glazier compound over the edges of glass-wood framework. Spread the glaziers’ compound uniformly and thickly so that it won’t be concentrated at one single point. The putty applied should not show off to the other side of the door or window which marks the gap or improper fit of glass to the wooden framework.
- Corners are tricky and require special care to apply the putty.
- Other window and door repair conditions include damage of hinges and door locks. It may be due to lack of lubrication or rusting of internal parts. Windows and doors repair wholly represents fixing of broken glasses and mechanical parts. Fixing the glasses is simple if worked carefully. But repairing the mechanical parts requires expertise and cannot be self-helped. Repairing delicate parts without expert assistance may worsen the damage.